Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blind

I write this poem for my Husband, on Father's Day.  I love him.  I thank him for taking me from really selfish to increasingly selfless (notice I just wrote "increasingly," so that doesn't really quantify my selflessness...).  He is my greatest blessing.  Many friends come to me with troubles in their own marriage, and I urge "STAY TOGETHER.  STAY TOGETHER."  There will be days when the pain of staying together will be the greatest pain you will ever know - you will think no one else on the planet has ever suffered so much in a marriage, and you will nearly shut down...the pain will be that overwhelming.

THIS is when your soul is undergoing the most change.

It will feel like torture, but I PROMISE YOU it will end well - it will end supernaturally well.  It will end way better than you could have ever imagined in those torturous moments.

Stay together.  Stay together.
You are working on each other.
Stay together.
Even if you cannot see where you are going.
Go.
Blind.


********************


A Poem For My Husband...





Blind date.  You walked to the car where I waited, cynical, strutting, willing to try.
Ogling, surprised, we coyly reacted. 
Nervous laughs. 
Attractive physique…accidental sighs.

Uninterrupted courtship, day after day, dreamlike-hypnotizing-butterflies.
Coffee-mug-long afternoons,
outlining thoughts,
paving paths on a barefaced love affair high.

Incredible adventures, impromptu, sampling surroundings, the entire East Coast
“I do not choose to be common;”
we bow to no master;
a proud, indulgent, youthful boast.

Elegant matrimony.  Off to the wild west – Texas – an unconquered state with few laws.
Immediately with-child. 
Stability requested. 
Self-serving voyage takes a necessary pause.

Morning sickness beyond imagination –clinging to normal; boring automatic mode
Curious phases;
remembering independence,
begging for mercy and adjusting the load.

Jobs and more jobs – nameless and faceless – others from elsewhere getting the pay;
“Don’t they know who I am?”
Ego deflated;
frustrations mounting; humbleness stays.

Scraping; fighting; sacrificing; sleeping on sofas - wishing me gone;
Loving; crying;
begging for grace;
forgetting the courtship - just holding on.

Children come in a pattern; a girl…a boy…a girl…a boy; we’re broke again.
Completely surrendered;
forgetting the courtship –
just running the business, barely friends.

When out of the heavens,
disaster;
awakening –
shaken to the core
when his body fails. 

Surreal interpretation; months of deep silence; sensing the messages; saving our tails.

New start. 
New love. 
New appreciation. 
New hope. 
New view.
More mature ways.

New laughs.  New sighs.  New paths.  Less hesitation. 

Holding hands walking in a new phase.

Remembering the courtship.
Remembering the courtship.
Remember your courtship.

I can see you again.

Rebuilding; renewing; reintroducing – “Hi, remember me?”  Avoiding mistakes;
For children –
giving everything –
ignoring your limits –
giving flight to their futures - whatever it takes.

Together, a journey – a quilt of flaw and potential; a masterpiece in the making;

Amazing grace.

Together, we are parents
We are lovers
We are friends like no other;

And wiser now,
So much wiser now,

In a meaningful, contented, well-informed space.


Blind faith.  You walked to the place where I waited, in awe of me, in awe of you,
promising we could fly.
Over them; over it; over it all,
appreciative laughs;  
aging physique…supernatural sighs.


Blind.

8 comments:

  1. And...the gift we received....baby #5. God will never be outdone in generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This life is unbelievable. I am grateful for your example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Lucinda Allen "The family is indissolubly united to the Cross of Christ. Is this simply a morbid outlook on marital and family life? Or is it a piece of wisdom that few in our modern world can understand?

    The Catechism teaches that “love should be permanent or it is not true love. It is not a feeling which comes and goes, but a power to give which should be there even when feeling dies out”.

    In marriage we cannot rely on our own human strength, and if we think we can, we shall fail. Temptation enters into every marriage in one way or another. On one’s wedding day it is hard to imagine a day when it all won’t be perfect. Little do the young hearts know that they are embarking on a road which will travel to the highest peaks and the lowest valleys."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the roller coaster. Did you see the movie, Parenthood? At the very end the old lady talks about liking the roller coaster. It still makes me weepy. I hope you get to see it if you haven't. It's classic Steve Martin.

      Delete
    2. Okay, it wasn't the very end, I just checked out the clip, but you have to see it. I have a link, but I don't want to ruin it. Oh, and if you haven't seen MOonstruck....see it. It would be nice to hear what some of your favorite movies are. I need to relax and watch something cute soon.

      Delete
    3. My favorite movie is Out of Africa. It is not cute. Ha. I love it because it takes me to another place, and I can smell that place; feel her pain; imagine her disappointment and her joy. It is a life. What strikes me is how she is tough as nails but also so feminine and that she makes a difference but never seeks recognition...she is always just trying to survive, and though she feels alone, and she seemingly is, there are angels sent to her in human form, and they keep her going so she can do the work she must do. It is really simple in its beauty. I have watched it far too many times.

      Delete
    4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU7iQVx8G4s

      I watched the Roller Coaster clip. I love the elderly. They know.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to see that movie. I've never been to Africa, but I love the art that comes out of their people.

    ReplyDelete